Friday, May 3, 2013

The Little Green Dresser (A Before and After)

I didn't think we'd be talking again before my trip! However, I wanted to get a couple of furniture pieces done for my booth space before I left, and I am really excited about this little transformation.

I found this sad, poor little dresser and thought it needed me. ;) It's not an heirloom piece, just simple construction and lines and fairly small. It said "kids room" to me for sure. The finish was in horrible condition, so I basically just had to decide what color I wanted to paint it.
The top of the dresser was even worse...
You might be surprised, but I spray painted this piece (except for the top)! I used Ivy Leaf from Krylon, which is one of my all time favorite colors.
With 150 grit sandpaper, I distressed the edges of the body and drawers.
Using Citrus Stripper, I stripped the top and re-stained it. Can you believe the renewal of the top, I was SO happy.
I also used the stain over the whole piece to knock down the brightness and stain the exposed wood. Finally, I did a coat of poly just to seal everything up.
Do you like the new knobs??? I wanted to pump up the look of this piece even more and made a beeline to Hobby Lobby to check out knobs. I found these speckled ceramic knobs and stopped looking, I think they really make the dresser! Don't they look like bird eggs (or is that just me)?
So off to the booth she goes, and hopefully to a good home.

Joining Miss Mustard Seed


2011-12-013

17 comments:

  1. What an amazing transformation. It looks beautiful. My first thought when I saw the knobs was bird eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely birds' eggs! The color is gorgeous, too. Love that you spray painted it! And that artichoke in the container is gorgeous! Is it all one piece or two? Wherever did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a little brass compote and "cattail ball". It's made from real cattail, dyed green...I found it at a local store...but Google cattail ball and I think you can find them online.

      Delete
  3. It came out so beautiful! Love that shade of green... very fresh looking!
    And those knobs make the dresser!

    Great weekend to you.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. If she could speak, she would be thanking your for her makeover! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and here I thought distressing could only be done with Annie Sloan paint?!! That paint job is amazing, I'm so impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Michelle. Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job!! Did u read my email?? Important info for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What difference, just beautiful now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a terrific job on this piece! Great color!

    Mary from Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color of this chest! You did a beautiful job on the redo, you were right this little chest did need you! The knobs are perfect!

    Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle